Thursday, December 8, 2016

In which I ponder retirement

I always get myself in trouble with comparisons. It always takes the form of "How can you compare that with this?? Are you actually calling those things equal??"

Well, no. No I am not. I'm making what's called an 'analogy.'
An analogy is a comparison in which an idea or a thing is compared to another thing that is quite different from it. It aims at explaining that idea or thing by comparing it to something that is familiar.
Note that there is nothing in that definition that stipulates any level of equivalence, just similarity in one or more traits.  I've been as successful in my career as I have in part due to my ability to effectively explain complicated things with good analogies.

But.... I'm getting ahead of myself. We have just met, after all, It would be like blaming my parents for all of my emotional problems within the first two minutes of meeting a psychiatrist, if you will permit the analogy, or at least not correct me by pointing out that it is actually a simile.

Or not:
Even though all three are literary devices used as tools of comparison, metaphors and similes are both figures of speech, while analogy is not. An analogy is a rational argument that is used to explain how two apparently dissimilar things are, in reality, quite similar.
Whaaatttever, as my child would intone.

So, this has all been preparation for the following non-judgmental or belittling analogy:

Deciding and preparing to retire is similar to having a baby:

  • There are a lot of "Am I ready for this??" questions.
  • There are even more "Can I do this??" questions.
  • There are plenty of well-intentioned people that will try to answer those questions for you.
  • Few of the above are credible.
  • There are dozens of self-help books available.
  • Few of the above are credible.
  • You are the only one that can decide.
  • You will never be fully confident in your decision.
  • But if you don't do it, you will forever be burdened with the "What if I had?" question.
  • That said.... it's going to be a stressful event for you, and for those around you.
So, I have decided to retire.

At age 55.

This blog will act as a journal as I work through the multitude of issues arising from that decision.

Stay tuned!

Oh, about that 'After the Rubicon' name of the blog:
The idiom "Crossing the Rubicon" means to pass a point of no return, and refers to Julius Caesar's army's crossing of the Rubicon River (in the north of Italy ) in 49 BC, which was considered an act of insurrection and treason. Julius Caesar uttered the famous phrase "alea iacta est"—the die is cast—as his army marched through the shallow river.
Make no mistake: there are interested parties that may view my decision an act of insurrection and treason. That's where a lot of the stress comes from.  I do have to admit, though, that this is the most selfish thing that I have ever considered doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment